Nearly 70 percent of American adults are overweight and that’s created a health crisis the likes of which this country has never seen.
If you’re one of those needing to lose weight, you’ve likely tried a number of different diets for quick weight loss, but without success.
A successful diet is more than just words on paper: It needs to be a dramatic change in many areas of your life. Here are 10 ways to make your next diet really work.
1. Start with a weight loss journal. Medical experts have discovered that a weight loss journal is the single most effective tool in the battle against the bulge. Take the time to document your diet and it’s far more likely to succeed.
2. Cut way down on salt. Some people are under the erroneous impression that too much salt only leads to water retention, not actual weight gain. Unfortunately, an excess of salt in your diet will change the way your body can metabolize fat – and you know that’s going to put you at a huge disadvantage.
3. Do not order take-out or dine at restaurants. It’s too easy to cheat and too hard to keep track of your caloric intake, much less fat, cholesterol and sodium.
4. Never skip a meal. Try eating mini-meals throughout the day, maintaining your recommended number of calories instead. Skipping a meal completely is self-sabotage at its worst.
5. Start controlling the stress in your life. Not only does stress create an imbalance of hormones (which control your appetite and metabolism), but it’s shown to drive people to eat the wrong foods and in the wrong amounts.
6. Count every calorie. When you neglect items like salad dressing, butter or margarine, rolls and beverages from your calorie-counting regime, you’re quietly undoing all the good you’ve been working so hard at.
7. Start fresh and cook healthy. Losing weight quickly may depend a lot on the quality of foods you’re eating. Avoid prefab meals containing a lot of chemicals, as they won’t work with your plan the way healthy, fresh foods will. Also, stop frying or sauteing in butter and oil – steam instead, and add spices for flavor later.
8. Don’t take weekends off! Dieting is difficult, especially when you’re trying to lose weight fast, thus, by the end of the week, you may be tempted to ease up on your restrictions. Unfortunately, you will erase all that hard work! Don’t cheat at all, for any reason. Once you’ve taken a considerable amount of weight off, you can then begin rewarding yourself with small, occasional treats.
9. Get support. Recent studies indicate that getting help from your doctor is invaluable. Additionally, you’re much more likely to lose the weight you want if someone close to you is highly supportive. Ask your best friend to go on the diet with you or talk your spouse into a new workout regimen – you’ll be doing them a favor, too.
10. Choose one of the more sensible diets for quick weight loss. No diet is going to work if it’s not based on reasonable science and realistic options. As tempting as the gimmicks are, you want to pick a plan that fits you personally and one that you can stick with over time. Otherwise, you’re going to be on a painfully restrictive diet indefinitely.
Get off the fad diet train and get serious about your weight. There’s more at stake than simply fitting into your favorite pair of jeans, your health is on the line.